Saffron buns are a very Swedish tradition at Christmas. If you don´t like saffron you can just take that away and replace it with 1 tsp. cardamom instead.
- 5 eggs + 1 egg for brushing
- 0,3 cup (75ml) coconut sugar
- 0,4 cup (100ml) almond milk
- 0,2 cup (50ml) of coconut flour
- 0,8 cup (200ml) almond flour
- 0,3 cup (75ml) melted tasteless coconut oil + a little extra to grease the molds
- 50 g chopped almonds, without the skin.
- 1/4 tsp. / 0,5 g crushed saffron or approx. 6 saffron threads
- 1 tsp.vanilla powder
- 2 Tbsp. Psyllium Husk powder
- Raisins for decoration
Turn the oven on 175 degrees C / 350 F. Beat the eggs and sugar well together with an electric mixer. Melt coconut oil and mix in the beaten eggs. Take half of the almond milk and dissolve the saffron in it. Then add almond milk and saffron to the egg mixture. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Stir in the chopped almonds. Let stand for 5 minutes to swell a bit.
The batter will be quite loose, use a muffin try that you rub with coconut oil. If you use paper molds so brush them with a little melted coconut oil to prevent paper jams in the finished buns. Add the batter into the molds. Brush with beaten egg and press into raisins. The recipe will make about 10 buns.
Bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the oven. When they cooled a little take out the buns from the muffin mold and let them cool on a rack. Can be frozen.